2012: MA, MSci in Natural Sciences (Chemistry), University of Cambridge.
Elastic and anelastic behaviour of engineering alloys.
Understanding the stability and behaviour of alloys with temperature is crucial to their use. Ultrasonic methods are often used as a means of non-destructive testing, but may be used to study phase transitions, diffusion, and behaviour of defects through changes in acoustic attenuation and resonance frequency. Resonant ultrasound spectroscopy (RUS) is therefore employed to study the various characteristics of engineering alloys.
My thesis is supervised by Michael Carpenter and Howard Stone.
- S.L. Driver, N.G. Jones, H.J. Stone, D. Rugg and M.A. Carpenter (2016) On the effect of hydrogen on the elastic moduli and acoustic loss behaviour of Ti-6Al-4V. Philosophical Magazine, 96 (22) p2311.
- A.J. Rawson, D.T. Cuskelly, S.L. Driver, M.A. Carpenter (2017) Elastic and anelastic properties of metals near their melting points from miscibility gap alloy composites. Materials Science and Engineering A, 681 p18.
- R. Muñoz-Moreno, V.D. Divya, S.L. Driver, O.M.D.M Messé, T. Illston, S. Baker, M.A. Carpenter, H.J. Stone (2016) Effect of heat treatment on the microstructure, texture and elastic anisotropy of the nickel-based superalloy CM247LC processed by selective laser melting. Materials Science and Engineering A, 674 p529.
- E. Vives, J. Baró, M. C. Gallardo, J-M. Martín-Olalla, F. J. Romero, S. L. Driver, M. A. Carpenter, E. K. H. Salje, M. Stipcich, R. Romero, A. Planes (2016) Avalanche criticalities and elastic and calorimetric anomalies of the transition from cubic Cu-Al-Ni to a mixture of 18R and 2H structures. Physical Review B, 94 024102.
- S.L. Driver, J. Herrero-Albillos, C.M. Bonilla, F. Bartolome, L. Garcia, C. Howard and M.A. Carpenter (2014) Multiferroic (ferroelastic/ferromagnetic/ferrimagnetic) aspects of phase transitions in RCo2 Laves phases. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 26 (5) 056001.
- G.F. Nataf, Q. Li, Y. Liu, R.L. Withers, S.L. Driver and M.A. Carpenter (2013) Ferroelastic aspects of relaxor ferroelectric behaviour in Pb(In1/2Nb1/2)O3-Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)O3-PbTiO3 perovskite. Journal of Applied Physics, 113 (12) 124102.